Elizabeth Mann Society
Who was Elizabeth Mann?
On a cold November day in 1886, a three-day-old baby boy was left on the doorstep of a prominent Des Moines family. Within 24 hours, Elizabeth Mann and two of her lady friends had established the Home for Friendless Children, the city's first orphanage, which was soon renamed the Des Moines Children's Home. It has since evolved into the organization we know today as Orchard Place.
No longer an orphanage, Orchard Place works with many of the state's most emotionally troubled and helpless children, striving to heal their hearts and minds in an effort to help them develop promising futures.
Under the loving guidance of Elizabeth Mann and her friends, yesterday's children had hope, a home, and the love they needed to sustain them through difficult and lonely times. Through the partnership of thousands of faithful friends and donors, Orchard Place has grown into one of the finest mental health organizations for children in the United States.
The Elizabeth Mann Society
The Elizabeth Mann Society was formed as a way to honor the generous people who have included Orchard Place in their estate plans. These gifts help us continue the work of Elizabeth and meet the ever-evolving needs of children served by Orchard Place into the 21st Century.
As we confront the challenges of the future, we know that the generosity of those who assist us will make all the difference in our success, and more importantly, in the lives of the children we serve.
How You Can Qualify for Membership
- Will bequest or living trust
- Charitable gift annuity
- Charitable remainder trust
- Charitable lead trust
- Life insurance
- IRA or other retirement plan assets
- Personal residence or farm with retained life estate
A Few Examples of How Your Gift to Orchard Place Might be Used
- To provide therapy for an abused or neglected child
- To assist with furnishings and facility upkeep
- To help troubled youth get their lives back on track and become productive adults
- To help our therapists and staff attain the ongoing education and training they need to provide the best care possible for the children we serve
Benefits of Membership
- Invitations to special events
- Recognition of your gift in our annual publications
- Regular updates from our CEO detailing the most recent developments at Orchard Place
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference in the lives of those we serve
Click here to see a roster of current Elizabeth Mann Society members.
Questions or Comments?
Sandi Tuttle, CFRE
Director of Planned Giving
925 SW Porter
Des Moines, IA 50315
Copyright © Orchard Place, All rights reserved.
The information in this Web site is not intended as legal advice. For legal advice, please consult an attorney. Figures cited in examples are for hypothetical purposes only and are subject to change. References to income tax apply to federal taxes only. Federal estate tax, state income/estate taxes or state law may impact your results.